PowWeb Forums - The Perfect Community for the Perfect Host  

Register now to interact with over 11,000 members! Registered users have Posting Privileges, free access to Private Messaging, Email Notifications and more.

Go Back   PowWeb Community Forums > Web Site Design > Web Site Design Software and Tools > Microsoft FrontPage
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4-2-12, 02:41 PM   #1
sclind
Registered

Transfer Frontpage 2003 website to new ISP

We moved (via tar) our website to a new ISP. The website would display fine at the new ISP.

However, when I would try to edit the website via FP 2003 the login would fail saying the /home directory could not be located. FP displays what I believe was the /home directory at the old ISP.

Reinstalling the Extensions has not helped.

If I remove and install the Extensions I can now logon, but the navigation bars on the left side have been destroyed. I am guessing there is something in the vti files from the old ISP that is keeping FP 2003 from letting me edit the website.

Any advice on either how to ‘fix’ some vti file to allow me to logon, or how to automagically rebuild the navigation bars?
sclind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-3-12, 04:16 AM   #2
IanS
Former Spam Filter (EU)

Hopefully you backed up the site before moving. If so you should be able to publish the site successfully at a new host (not ISP - Internet Service Provider - who is the one providing the broadband link).

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
Give it a go - ask here first!
IanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-4-12, 03:14 PM   #3
entrecon
Custom User Title

Since FrontPage has been retired...it might be a good time to re-do the site with a new tool.
Old 4-4-12, 05:17 PM   #4
sclind
Registered

I agree - but for now I just need to get the website back to normal.
Old 4-4-12, 05:22 PM   #5
sclind
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS View Post
Hopefully you backed up the site before moving. If so you should be able to publish the site successfully at a new host (not ISP - Internet Service Provider - who is the one providing the broadband link).
I do have a copy of the site before the move to the new host. I thnk the problem is the old /home location is in the _vti_pvt/service.grp and _vti_pvt/service.pwd files. I am going to try editing these manually in the control panel to the correct values.
Old 4-10-12, 12:40 PM   #6
sclind
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclind View Post
I do have a copy of the site before the move to the new host. I thnk the problem is the old /home location is in the _vti_pvt/service.grp and _vti_pvt/service.pwd files. I am going to try editing these manually in the control panel to the correct values.
Fixing the /home location got me past the error message; now FP just keeps asking me for the userid and password over and over again!
Old 4-12-12, 11:27 AM   #7
sclind
Registered

lanS - do you think my best course of action at this point is to clear the public_html directory on the hosting side, then try to publish everything again from my PC? It seems as long as there are FP files on the hosting side it will not let me logon.

I have never tried re-publishing a complete site at one time; anything special I need to know?
Old 4-12-12, 12:21 PM   #8
IanS
Former Spam Filter (EU)

From your post I assume you're not doing this on Powweb's servers - they publish into htdocs.

What I would try and do is firstly create (then publish) a small 3 or 4 page site with links between pages and using some of the FP features you use on the main site you're trying to re-create.

If that worked, then whilst making sure I had a copy of the full site do as you suggest - clear the published folder and sub-folders as well as looking for hidden folders level with or beyond public_html

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
Give it a go - ask here first!
IanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-18-12, 06:03 PM   #9
shrupa

Just Tryout this Re-install Extension>>Connect via FP and recalculate Navigation Links.