PowWeb Forums - The Perfect Community for the Perfect Host  

Register now to interact with over 11,000 members! Registered users have Posting Privileges, free access to Private Messaging, Email Notifications and more.

Go Back   PowWeb Community Forums > The PowWeb Platform > Email
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-3-16, 07:44 PM   #1
iluvatar
Registered

Spam - Tons and tons of spam

For some reason, the last couple weeks has seen a roughly tenfold increase in the amount of spam I receive on a daily basis. All of it's coming from a bunch of random ip address and random domains, all on the .top top-level domain. Unfortunately, the blacklist spam filters don't allow you to filter out top-level domains or to put wildcards anywhere after the @ sign in an email address, so it's impossible to filter them ahead of time - you can only react to what's been sent, which doesn't matter, because the next one will come from somewhere else.

And support has been absolutely useless. Like completely and utterly useless. It's quite clear that the support personnel aren't reading or comprehending the problem I'm describing, because they keep telling me to use the black list, despite the fact that I've already told them that it's not working and why it's not working. When I reiterated that their solution wouldn't work, they told me that spam filtering is hard. When I submitted a suggestion requesting that they add top-level domain filtering and the ability to put wildcard after the @ sign, they told me that their spam filter doesn't allow that. No kidding, that's why I requested the feature.

I'm paid up on my account for a while, but I don't think I'll be renewing. I've had this account since 2007, but these days, I use my site mainly for email and the powweb email blows. The web client sucks and it routinely takes several minutes for an email to go through. And now I'm getting inundated with spam that nobody can even bother to deal with.
iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-16, 08:33 AM   #2
IanS
Former Spam Filter (EU)

Powweb is not an e-mail provider, it is a web-host that allows e-mail. If you want good email services I suggest you do like most here did a few years ago, me included, and forward messages to a dedicated provider, possibly a free one.

I don't see much spam coming into my account when I check it here which I've done recently more than usual to clear out the full mailboxes.

Is there a pattern to the source of the spam? A type of spam? A bit more info is needed to help you sort out your issue on this user-helping-user forum.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
Give it a go - ask here first!
IanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-16, 02:46 PM   #3
iluvatar
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS View Post
Powweb is not an e-mail provider, it is a web-host that allows e-mail.
How do you figure? I have mailboxes through powweb that I manage through my powweb account. If that's not an email provider, what is?

Quote:
If you want good email services I suggest you do like most here did a few years ago, me included, and forward messages to a dedicated provider, possibly a free one.
Suggestions? Gmail or something else?

Quote:
Is there a pattern to the source of the spam? A type of spam? A bit more info is needed to help you sort out your issue on this user-helping-user forum.
Not that I've been able to discern, other than the fact that it comes from the .top domain.

-Dan.
Old 11-23-16, 11:38 AM   #4
iluvatar
Registered

Hi Ian, no there isn't a pattern to the source of the spam, other than it coming from the .top domain.
Old 12-1-16, 09:51 AM   #5
BusterW
Registered

I've also been getting hammered the last few weeks with spam from .top domains, like 20-50 emails a day. it's absolutely ridiculous that the blacklist won't allow a wildcard after the @ so you can filter this crap out.

What dedicated provider are you forwarding to IanS? I was wondering if we upgraded our accounts to Google Apps accounts, if Google would do a better job of filtering out this junk.
BusterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-2-16, 11:27 AM   #6
IanS
Former Spam Filter (EU)

Answered in PM.

I would suggest that you also get in touch with Powweb help to see if they can address the problem of the .top top level domain sending so much spam that is getting through to you.

Good luck!

Old 12-2-16, 11:37 AM   #7
IanS
Former Spam Filter (EU)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvatar View Post
How do you figure? I have mailboxes through powweb that I manage through my powweb account. If that's not an email provider, what is?
Their main business isn't providing E-mail.
Quote:
Suggestions? Gmail or something else?
We're not allowed to make such suggestions, but you can't be far wrong
Quote:
Not that I've been able to discern, other than the fact that it comes from the .top domain.
-Dan.
Can you post a few .top addresses with spaces for us to see?

Old 12-2-16, 02:20 PM   #8
BusterW
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS View Post

Can you post a few .top addresses with spaces for us to see?
Here are a few I've received:
Tactical_American_Patriots @ chain.svstage.top
MichelleThompson @ pocket.svasset.top
MedigapQuote_Org @ planet.kmwaved.top
MayoClinicStudy @ foster.todaycuremytinnitus.top
BusterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-16, 08:13 AM   #9
iluvatar
Registered

Code:
Sexy-AsianGirls at galaxy.salbare.top MedigapQuote_Org at sensor.ionsori.top Total_Secure_Data at danger.sorboaf.top Renewable_Energy_Tax_Credit at upbeat.vancurg.top Chronic.Constipation.Cure at march.roldors.top

That's a handful of the 16 I've received just this morning. Powweb support has been absolutely useless - worse than Comcast, in fact. I've talked to them multiple times and it takes several attempts just to get them to understand what the problem is - the language barrier is an obvious problem. And once they finally do get it, they tell you that there's nothing they can do. I'm going to change hosting when my subscription runs out.

Can you send me the email suggestion in a PM, too?

Last edited by snowmaker; 12-7-16 at 10:23 PM..