PowWeb Forums - The Perfect Community for the Perfect Host  

Register now to interact with over 11,000 members! Registered users have Posting Privileges, free access to Private Messaging, Email Notifications and more.

Go Back   PowWeb Community Forums > Web Site Design > Content Management Systems > Blogs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2-12-17, 05:14 PM   #1
CWme
Registered

how to install Wordpress into a current website + questions on subdomains

Hello -

I'm trying to get a new WP site going, but remember reading in the past that it is best to install it into a subdomain if you have a website already running on the same hosting account.

Something like creating a CNAME record of newwebsite.domain.com

My questions are: So I need to set up the CNAME record here at PW, but what if anything do I have to do at the registrar, or is it the other way around? Then I know I have to wait until the sub-domain is created (or whatever the word is)....before I go on.

Once the browser finds the new sub-domain I can then go into the tools for installing WP here at powweb and install it - into where? Do I create a DIR for this subdomain?

Also, once done - can I some how make it so just typing in the domain name will take you to the sub-domain - sounds like a pointer... none of these things have I attempted before so I'm very interested in best practices so this goes off without a hitch.

Thank you for your wisdom on this matter ~
CWme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-14-17, 08:27 PM   #2
rainbore
Rick

There's no particular need to install Wordpress in a subdomain. It works perfectly well in a subdirectory.
Just follow the instructions from Wordpress.
Old 2-17-17, 08:45 PM   #3
Croc Hunter
Mod.. with bite..

Sounds like you want to replace your existing website with a wordpress based one? Depending on what your existing website is eg; index.html, you can install wordpress directly into htdocs. Then when you are ready in OPS simply make index.php your preferred homepage file.

Tags
wordpress cname

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: