PowWeb Forums - The Perfect Community for the Perfect Host  

Register now to interact with over 11,000 members! Registered users have Posting Privileges, free access to Private Messaging, Email Notifications and more.

Go Back   PowWeb Community Forums > Web Site Design > HTML/CSS/Javascript
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 2-23-06, 12:54 PM   #1
satis

how to stop javascript execution

hi...this should hopefully be quick, but is there a javascript command to abort execution of the rest of the script? For instance...

PHP Code:
function whatever(var1){
    if(
var1 == 'abort'){

//command to kill program execution

}

//additional javascript commands

A much simplified example. Anyway, I'm basically for something with the functionality of php's die() function.
PlasmaSky.com
Old 2-23-06, 01:21 PM   #2
BerksWebGuy
Mod Squad

PHP die/exit will stop the page parsing (so nothing after that will be seen). Since javascript is on client-side, I don't think anything will stop the page from loading (unless you do a redirect).

If you're talking about breaking a loop: http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs...atements:break
Or just put the commands in an if statement.

I'm not a javascript guru...but I guess I don't know exactly what you want to do (stop loading the page or just the script).
Old 2-23-06, 01:28 PM   #3
satis

yea, I saw the break to break the loop, but I'm trying to just stop the javascript function from continueing execution. I can work around it in other ways, but that would require alot of redundant code or another function, both of which I'd like to avoid.

Basically, it's just a javascript function that can be called from multiple (dynamically generated) places, and if the data being passed into the function matches a specific value, I want to stop the function from continueing execution. I'm not really trying to stop page rendering or anything, I just don't want the rest of the code evaluated. This if for an AJAX-based page, hence why I'm trying to do all this in javascript.

Anyway, I appreciate the assistance. Worst comes to worst, I'll just rebuild the function so I don't need to kill code execution.
PlasmaSky.com
Old 2-23-06, 07:33 PM   #4
mixerson

I'm not trying to be difficult, but what would happen if you just return from the function?

If you return all the way back to whatever triggered Javascript execution in the first place (for example, the "onload" property of the <body> tag), then Javascript execution will stop.

Or do you want to totally disable all event handlers after the condition is met?

Or do I totally misunderstand....
Old 2-24-06, 12:38 PM   #5
satis

heh...you may be spot on about returning. It didn't even occur to me. I'm gonna give that a shot.

*edit* yep, that's what I was looking for. Just like me to try and figure out some hard way to do something rather than treating a function like a function.
PlasmaSky.com
Old 2-24-06, 04:47 PM   #6
mixerson

It's funny, because I thought I might be making a really stupid suggestion. I've never used AJAX (though I'm familiar with what it does), so it occurred to me that you might be having an AJAX-specific problem that would render my Javascript experience useless.

Glad it worked out!

-- Tom
Closed Thread