PowWeb Forums - The Perfect Community for the Perfect Host  

Register now to interact with over 11,000 members! Registered users have Posting Privileges, free access to Private Messaging, Email Notifications and more.

Go Back   PowWeb Community Forums > Other Forums > Computer Help
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-5-06, 01:55 AM   #1
gumma

my old CD's won't work in my new computer

I just got a new computer with Windows XP. I want to transfer my pictures, document files, graphics folders, etc... to my new computer. I burned my stuff to CD's, but the new computer won't open the CD's. My old computer has Windows ME. Please help. I have five years of stuff on my old computer including my website info that I want to transfer to my new computer. Is there some other way to transfer the stuff? Is there something in Windows XP (something hidden that I need to select) or some other reason that I can't read my data disks? The music disks open and play just fine.
Old 10-5-06, 07:28 AM   #2
Croc Hunter
Mod.. with bite..

Is your new drive an RW (Read Write) or just an R (Reaader)?. When you add data to CD make sure you actually write it to the CD. Also r-click the drive and check the Properties has 'enable writing to this drive' ticked. You could also upload it to Powweb then download it to the new computer. Or buy a network cable.
Old 10-5-06, 07:31 AM   #3
YvetteKuhns

I have a few CDs that work in some CD drives and not others. I burned CDs on a new Sony drive that could not be read by any other computer unless it had Renier technology software for drag-and-drop like floppy disks. Some CDs burned on "old" drives wouldn't read on other drives possibly because of the brand CD I used. I tried Maxell or Memorex, Sony for Sony drives and experimented different brands.

Try putting your old drive into your computer to transfer the data. If the data cannot be altered, click on the data files after transferring them to your computer and select Properties, then uncheck Read Only if it is checked. You may need to try your CD on someone else's computer or hard drive. It could be the drive, the CD, or the software. If you use the same CD burning software such as Nero, then I wouldn't expect that to be the problem.

Good luck!
Old 10-5-06, 09:31 AM   #4
Doc C
Just another mook

You can also try the Files and Setting Transfer Wizard. It's under the System Tools in Accessories. Use a thumbdrive to transfer the data. It might take a while though.

At work we use the method that Yvette described. You set the old HD up as a secondary and should be able to pull the files off easily. That is unless your new machine has SATA drives and your old one has IDE.

-William D. Tammeus
Old 10-5-06, 10:20 AM   #5
Builder
Thinkin' out loud again

Just to confuse you further, I bought a IDE-USB adapter kit, plugged my old computer's drive into that, plugged it into my new computer's USB port and voila, instant access to the drive. That's a good option for notebook computers.

Good luck,
Kevin
Old 10-5-06, 11:51 AM   #6
YvetteKuhns

Quote:
I bought a IDE-USB adapter kit, plugged my old computer's drive into that, plugged it into my new computer's USB port and voila, instant access to the drive. That's a good option for notebook computers.
I used this method when transferring files to my son's laptop (formerly my laptop).

Quote:
At work we use the method that Yvette described. You set the old HD up as a secondary and should be able to pull the files off easily. That is unless your new machine has SATA drives and your old one has IDE.
Yes, I should have mentioned that they were all IDE drives. Good catch!
Old 10-5-06, 04:52 PM   #7
gumma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croc Hunter View Post
Is your new drive an RW (Read Write) or just an R (Reaader)?. When you add data to CD make sure you actually write it to the CD. Also r-click the drive and check the Properties has 'enable writing to this drive' ticked. You could also upload it to Powweb then download it to the new computer. Or buy a network cable.

My old Windows ME computer has two drives. A CD/R drive plus a CD/RW drive. The CD's that I burned can be viewed in the CD read drive of my Windows ME computer.

My new Windows XP computer has a multiformat DVD/RW and a CD/RW drive. When I try to read the CD's in the XP computer, it shows the disk as being blank, but I know there is information on it. Also, like I previously stated... the music CD's that I burned on the ME computer play just fine on the XP computer.

What is a network cable and how do I use it?
Old 10-5-06, 04:56 PM   #8
gumma

Quote:
Originally Posted by YvetteKuhns View Post
Try putting your old drive into your computer to transfer the data. You may need to try your CD on someone else's computer or hard drive. It could be the drive, the CD, or the software.
I have no idea how to put the old drive into my new computer... besides, I don't want to void my warranty by messing with. I did try the CD in my Dad's XP computer, it reads just fine.

I am so bummed.
Old 10-5-06, 04:59 PM   #9
gumma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Builder View Post
Just to confuse you further, I bought a IDE-USB adapter kit, plugged my old computer's drive into that, plugged it into my new computer's USB port and voila, instant access to the drive. That's a good option for notebook computers.

Good luck,
Kevin

LOL... I am now totally confused.

Where would I get a IDE-USB adapter kit? My computers are not notebooks but towers. Would that make a difference?
Old 10-5-06, 05:02 PM   #10
IanS
Former Spam Filter (EU)

When you made the CD's originally, which software did you use? Did you finalise the CD? You can place a CD drive in an external USB box in the same way you would a hard drive and access it. If you can take out one of the DVD/CD drives from your original machine then you can use an external box without invalidating the warranty by utilizing the USB ports.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
Give it a go - ask here first!
Old 10-5-06, 05:19 PM   #11
gumma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc C View Post
You can also try the Files and Setting Transfer Wizard. It's under the System Tools in Accessories. Use a thumbdrive to transfer the data. It might take a while though.
I finally found the wizard... it looks like my best bet. Now I just have to figure out where to get cables, etc...

I would like to thank everyone for their help. Hopefully, I'll be able to do something out of all these suggestions.
Old 10-5-06, 06:55 PM   #12
YvetteKuhns

Quote:
Where would I get a IDE-USB adapter kit?
I bought mine on eBay, but you can find them at other computer supply stores. You take an IDE item such as your CD Rom drive and connect it to your tower with the USB end commonly used for printers, scanners, cameras and even your mouse. The USB end looks rectangular and flat.

USB to IDE adapter on eBay
Old 10-5-06, 07:19 PM   #13
Builder
Thinkin' out loud again

Thanks Yvette
Old 10-6-06, 09:50 AM   #14
Doc C
Just another mook

If you get a crossover cable, you can connect the network ports on the two machines and pull the data that way.

Opening a PC case generally won't void the warranty. How would they expect you to upgrade the memory, add another HD or change the CD readers?

If your dad's machine will read the CDs and has a burner, you can copy the data to his machine, burn a CD and see if the machine will read it. It's another long way but it will work. I've had cases at work where one PC would make CDs that couldn't be read on others. A real PITA when I sent the CDs out to 35 sales reps to update their MapPoint!

-William D. Tammeus
Old 10-6-06, 10:34 AM   #15
tpoynton
Custom User Title

OR, if you've got a LAN (router), you can share files over the network. how far have things come since the days when transferring files between 2 computers was done with floppies...
Old 10-6-06, 11:19 AM   #16
YvetteKuhns

I liked sharing the LAN method until my son started editing my files! He has limited access to files now and only the read-only files of which I have other copies.
Old 10-6-06, 12:01 PM   #17
Croc Hunter
Mod.. with bite..

All good ideas to try..
Quote:
What is a network cable and how do I use it?
A network cable will connect your two computers together so you can see and transfer data from one to the other quickly. They can be tricky to set up especially as your ME /2000 is an old computer.

Sure sounds like incompatible disc's (or less possibly drives). I guess you are on dial-up. In any case, as I said in my first post, FTP. I'd start uploading. FileZilla is free FTP program. It has resume, keep connection alive, etc. Go party while it does it. Get what you need up there then download it to your new computer then you can burn backup copies.
Old 10-8-06, 03:42 AM   #18
gumma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croc Hunter View Post
All good ideas to try..A network cable will connect your two computers together so you can see and transfer data from one to the other quickly. They can be tricky to set up especially as your ME /2000 is an old computer.

Sure sounds like incompatible disc's (or less possibly drives). I guess you are on dial-up. In any case, as I said in my first post, FTP. I'd start uploading. FileZilla is free FTP program. It has resume, keep connection alive, etc. Go party while it does it. Get what you need up there then download it to your new computer then you can burn backup copies.
I have high speed cable connection, so uploading and downloading wouldn't be a problem, except FileZilla doesn't support ME. I took Yvette's suggestion and bought a USB to IDE adapter, etc... on eBay. Hopefully I can figure out how to use it.

Thanks,