PowWeb Forums - The Perfect Community for the Perfect Host  

Register now to interact with over 11,000 members! Registered users have Posting Privileges, free access to Private Messaging, Email Notifications and more.

Go Back   PowWeb Community Forums > The PowWeb Platform > General Issues / Questions
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 3-30-10, 02:33 PM   #1
Dave_M
Registered

FTP - 530 Login Incorrect - even with right password

I am having a problem that I can explain but not understand.

Starting a week ago, I have not been able to ftp log onto my web site from my home computer. I get a 530 login not correct error.

This issue started occurring just after I talked to tech support about an insufficient disk space error I got while uploading files. I was told that a switch was improperly set at powweb, that it was corrected, and I should be able to upload. I was - for 1 day. Then I started getting the 530 login error.

via OPS / FTP, I can verify my password through my user name account. Tech support reports back to me that they can access my account via FTP and that there is no issue. However, every time I try to FTP log on, I get the 530 login incorrect. I try via ws-FTP program, FileZilla, Internet explorer via ftp address - I always get rejected. The ftp server seems to recognize my username, but rejects the password.

This is occurring for 2 different domains that I maintain on on POWWEB. I also have 2 other domains that I ftp to that are not POWWEB hosted. Those two sites I get connected with both WS_FTP and Filezilla.

Added to this, if I connect with my computer using another ISP (I am using comcast), I do get connected and the password is verified. While that sounds like a comcast issue, I don't believe it is. I have talked to their tech people and they are not blocking port 21. While connected via comcast, I connect to other FTP hosts other than Powweb with no issues.

I would like to be able for powweb to identify the password that is being rejected - I think the issue lies there. But Powweb says they can not do that.

So basically, I tell Powweb I can not get connected and that I get the 530 error, and they tell me everything is fine, and I tell them everything is not - and we just go back and forth.

Firewall and Virus checking was turned off during all of this.

Here is the error I am getting using Filezilla:
Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response: 220-
Response: 220 Powweb FTP Server ready
Command: USER xxxcom
Response: 331 Password required for xxxcom
Command: PASS *********
Response: 530 Login incorrect.
Error: Critical error
Error: Could not connect to server

Anyone have any ideas ?
Old 3-30-10, 02:45 PM   #2
entrecon
Custom User Title

Have you tried creating a FTP user other than your main account login?
Old 3-30-10, 03:15 PM   #3
YvetteKuhns

Quote:
Added to this, if I connect with my computer using another ISP (I am using comcast), I do get connected and the password is verified. While that sounds like a comcast issue, I don't believe it is. I have talked to their tech people and they are not blocking port 21. While connected via comcast, I connect to other FTP hosts other than Powweb with no issues.
It actually does sound like a Comcast issue, especially since other people have reported Comcast problems with PowWeb's networks.

I would have tried creating a new FTP login, but you said you can connect using another ISP. It doesn't hurt to try it.
Old 3-30-10, 03:23 PM   #4
Dave_M
Registered

I did create another ftp user and password - actually I have 4 - all show the same results - 530 error.

The comcast thing bothers me too - but after talking with them and they identified every port that had a block - and they said nothing had changed on their part (always suspect anyway), but the fact I had a file space issue with Powweb and almost immediately after that the login issue started, and the fact that I get connected via other ftp servers other than powweb, makes me think it's a powweb issue - but certainly being able to log in on another isp (of course I have to travel to do this) complicates the trouble shooting.
Old 3-30-10, 04:04 PM   #5
KitBear
Beta tester

Try SFTP to ftp.powweb.com using port 2222.
Old 3-30-10, 06:21 PM   #6
Dave_M
Registered

tried WinSCP - got connected to ftp server, when it asked for password, it said - "unable to connect".

Last edited by Dave_M; 3-30-10 at 08:21 PM..
Old 3-30-10, 07:49 PM   #7
YvetteKuhns

Did you try using the File Manager in OPS?
Old 3-30-10, 08:11 PM   #8
Dave_M
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_M View Post
via OPS / FTP, I can verify my password through my user name account. Tech support reports back to me that they can access my account via FTP and that there is no issue. However, every time I try to FTP log on, I get the 530 login incorrect. I try via ws-FTP program, FileZilla, Internet explorer via ftp address - I always get rejected. The ftp server seems to recognize my username, but rejects the password.
I can get access through ops. The issue is I cannot get connected via FTP(using my home Comcast ISP account - which I have done for years, and which I need because I want to upload files from my web site as I update it - which I have been doing using FileZilla and Ws-FTP for a long time. All of the sudden, after I receive an error from a Powweb ftp session that I do not have enough disk space to complete the ftp upload and I contact support, and support says that they have fixed the problem - and I can resume uploads - do I start getting this "530 - password incorrect" error. I will look at file manager - but I don't think it gives me the ability to upload files. Just my guess - but let me look.

And of course, what complicates this problem, is that if I take my computer next door and log onto their network (another comcast connection, my computer ftp's in ok, as it also does on a quest connection)

(just did try File Manager - don't see how I can upload files that way - clue me in if I am wrong}

Yvette - thanks so much for responding. I appreciate the help. I did a search of the forum for all postings relating to "comcast" - and I never was able to find references to the "Comcast issue" that you mentioned (quoted below). Would you happen to have any reference links that I can a look at to see the exact issues ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YvetteKuhns View Post
It actually does sound like a Comcast issue, especially since other people have reported Comcast problems with PowWeb's networks.
Old 3-31-10, 05:14 AM   #9
IanS
Former Spam Filter (EU)

Try checking firewalls locally - remove passing through a firewall if possible for a short period to try.

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
Give it a go - ask here first!
Old 3-31-10, 09:00 AM   #10
tpoynton
Custom User Title

the fact that you can connect to other ftp sites, but not powweb's, seems to me to indicate it's something with powweb. Try resetting your cable modem (unplug power, battery if applicable, remove cable, let sit for a little bit, then reconnect) to see if you can pull a new IP address from comcast. check your current address with ipchicken, then see if it changed.
Old 3-31-10, 09:51 AM   #11
Dave_M
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_M View Post
Firewall and Virus checking was turned off during all of this.
I have released and renewed the ip addresses, but I will leave it disconnected and see if I can get a new one. I think it is powweb too based on the fact I get connected to other ftp servers. I am wondering what "switches" powweb set when they opened more disk space for me just before I started having the ftp connection issues - but it's hard to get them to talk about what they did.
Old 3-31-10, 09:53 AM   #12
YvetteKuhns

Quote:
And of course, what complicates this problem, is that if I take my computer next door and log onto their network (another comcast connection, my computer ftp's in ok, as it also does on a quest connection)
Since you have tested this login to PowWeb on another Comcast connection next door and was successful, the problem is not PowWeb, Comcast, your computer or your login info. Your modem, router or firewall may need to be reset. You may be able to disconnect your router or modem for at least 30 seconds and see if that helps.

Or you may need to do something else, for example: when we had a storm, I had to reset my router (not my modem) in order to regain Internet access. But another time I could access the Internet using IE but not Firefox after the cable guy swapped a modem and messed up my computer settings. I later managed to fix it.

You may need to contact Comcast to see if you can reset your connection, but since you have Internet, I think the firewall may need to be updated or your router may need to be reset. I used the same Linksys router for almost a decade before finally updating the firewall on that router. A support call for $30 to Linksys was all it needed.

There is another possible idea, but I haven't encountered it with PowWeb (yet). Other web hosts log ip addresses for ftp access. If the ip address is not recognized, the host was blocking access. It was annoying if a client logged in and then I couldn't login or vice versa. In your case, I don't think PowWeb is the source of the ip address issue. And you tried different ftp programs, so I don't think it is the program. You can also try a newly installed version of CoreFTP to see if that helps. But your computer worked on another network, so I don't think that is the problem.

Be sure to thank your neighbor for allowing you test your computer on his/her network. That really does help! Keep us updated on your progress.
Old 3-31-10, 11:30 AM   #13
Dave_M
Registered

Thanks to all - I did renew to a different ip address as well as doing a manual reset of the comcast modem and a manual reset voip combo modem/router (stick a pin in the button). Now I wished I had been a bit more methodical at testing, but I do not think the new ip address fixed the issue (I tested it - but without rebooting)- nor do I think it was the comcast modem reset. I think it was the manual reset of the voip combo router - that did it - although I question that cause I had removed the voip modem/router from the chain a while back and was still getting the issue - although every time you do testing like this it's best to do one thing at a time and reboot separately, etc.

Whatever the reason - I don't have a voip telephone right now (that can be reset)- but I do have connection to Powweb FTP via my home comcast.

But it definitely had to be one of those three things. Thanks again.
Old 3-31-10, 11:39 AM   #14
Dave_M
Registered

Of course, I also just got notified by Powweb that they have resolved the issue and asking me to try it - but I think it really goes back to the modem/router - but who knows ??? So it had to be one of those 4 things... - may never know.

Last edited by Dave_M; 3-31-10 at 03:30 PM..
Old 3-31-10, 11:58 AM   #15
IanS
Former Spam Filter (EU)

Hmmm.... how can the rectify an issue that was in your own home? Hmmmmm....

I am a customer just like you!!

Some matters can only be answered by staff or support.
Give it a go - ask here first!
Old 3-31-10, 12:48 PM   #16
tpoynton
Custom User Title

I say who cares about why it works...it works! Hopefully, it will not happen again; if it does, being methodical will be more important
Old 3-31-10, 01:41 PM   #17
YvetteKuhns

Thumbs up

I had to stick a pin to reset my router a while back. I was hoping it was that simple, if that was the problem. I keep a pin or paper clip near the router just in case something goes wrong.

Congratulations! And thanks again to the neighbor to prove it was probably the router.
Old 3-31-10, 07:34 PM   #18
Dave_M
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS View Post
Hmmm.... how can the rectify an issue that was in your own home? Hmmmmm....
Was it really ?
Old 10-4-10, 04:33 PM   #19
rrbravo
Registered

I am pretty sure I have the same issue

I have had this issue appear on three different routers. I am happily strolling along using FTP services for months and then I get a 530 error when trying to connect, with password verified as correct on the OPS page. I have tried everything and have been on countless hours of support calls with router manufacturers.

If I connect directly to my cable modem it works, or if I install a new router it will work (for a while). I have had the issue occur on a Vonage router, Asus router, Apple Airport Extreme, and Apple Time Capsule.

Once the issue starts, I have not been able to get any of the affected routers to work again. I can connect to the FTP services, but I cannot authenticate, and I am getting a 530 Bad Password error. (for instance for FTP services without authentication I can connect and interact as expected). Very frustrating. Again, if I bypass all routing I can connect, or if I put in a brand new router. I am currently running DD-WRT lite on an Asus 520gc. Anyone that has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it, as to access the FTP services, I am having to bring down my home network and direct connect. As an aside, the issue exists through any FTP client, or web site FTP, from all computers at the house. Your helpful insights are greatly appreciated.
Old 10-4-10, 04:40 PM   #20
YvetteKuhns

Quote:
If I connect directly to my cable modem it works, or if I install a new router it will work (for a while). ...
Once the issue starts, I have not been able to get any of the affected routers to work again. I can connect to the FTP services, but I cannot authenticate, and I am getting a 530 Bad Password error.
This is odd that you have trouble with various routers and not just one. Are you using a Firewall that needs reconfiguring or updating? Did you try disconnecting the router for a minute, then reconnecting it?
Old 10-4-10, 06:49 PM   #21
rrbravo
Registered

I have had the exact same problem where I am unable to connect to the FTP server due to error 530 - Bad Password, when in fact I am using the correct credentials. I have been plagued by the problem on 4 different routers (2 Apple, 1 Motorola, and 1 Asus). I could connect directly when connected to my SuddenLink cable modem, but not if I was connected through my router. Once a router was afflicted with the issue, it would never work again. Well... just today, a few minutes, I figured out how to fix the problem I was having. I wasn't able to figure out why it happened, but I did figure out a definite fix. But before I tell you how I fixed it, first, let me tell you what I tried that didn't work:

1. Rebooting the router - doesn't work
2. Reflashing the router - doesn't work
3. Bridging the LAN and WAN - doesn't work (this probably would have worked had I been able to get a WAN address from the cable modem, but I am limited to 1 and the router already had it.)
4. Port forwarding - doesn't work
5. DMZing your client computer - doesn't work
6. Trying Active vs. Passive - doesn't work.
7. Increasing / changing your MTU - doesn't work
8. Changing your FTP password - doesn't work
9. Creating a new FTP user / password - doesn't work

So what did work? Changing the MAC address on the WAN side of the router to something different. Apparently it was the ISP, and the ISP, for whatever reason, was hosing up the authentication for FTP. It was working this morning, but not working a few hours ago. I changed the MAC Address (just incremented it by 1) and I can now do FTP again (thank goodness).

So, if you are running into an issue where you are getting error 530 for FTP but you KNOW for sure (like you've verified via OPS) that your password and username are right, then open your router and change the MAC address to something different. Your ISP will renew your IP address and if you are as lucky as I was your FTP services will be restored.

I do not know if this would resolve itself over time via an IP lease expiration and completely new IP. My guess is that would resolve the issue; I just needed to use FTP now and that was the only way I could get it working again through my ASUS router.

My best guess is that the ISP, Sudden Link, was causing the issue, and that probably Comcast was causing the above described issue. No idea how or why since every other service I was using over the Internet was working without issue.
Old 10-4-10, 07:55 PM   #22
YvetteKuhns

Quote:
open your router and change the MAC address to something different. Your ISP will renew your IP address and if you are as lucky as I was your FTP services will be restored.
Do you have a one-way cable modem? That was an issue several years ago for people who had them, but the two-way cable modems and DSL rarely had the problem.

Quote:
I do not know if this would resolve itself over time via an IP lease expiration and completely new IP.
It could work temporarily and then you may have an issue again.

Keep an eye on it and keep track of what steps you try and the results. You may need to refer to this information again. The ISP techs don't always know what your problem is, what you tried or what is the correct solution to your problem. They should have known the problem. Good luck!
Closed Thread